Spring Clean-Up & Controlling Pests
Now that the snow has finally melted and you've replaced your shovel with a rake, it's time to get your yard ready for summer! If your yard looks anything like mine, you're probably stepping carefully over the winter's worth of doggie droppings. And if your pets are anything like mine, you may have already pulled off a tick or two. The Loyal Biscuit Co. provides you with everything you need to get your yard in tip-top shape for outdoor fun as well as to protect both you and your pets from pesky fleas, ticks, black flies, mosquitoes, and other biting insects.
Cleaning up your pet’s waste is not always the most fun job; however it is something that should be done regularly. Ever wonder why your lawn seems to
have spots of dead, yellow grass? Dog poop. It’s too acidic and can damage your plants and grass, unlike other animal waste (like cows or chickens)
that is often used a fertilizer. Dog poop can also contain bacteria and parasites such as salmonella, E. coli, roundworms, or tapeworms that can make
both you and your dog very sick. Stop by one of our four locations to grab some supplies to make cleaning up after your dog quick and easy. We recommend
the following products:
- Four Paws Pooper Scooper – This convenient scooper allows for quick, single-handle pick up of animal waste.
- Earth Rated Poop Bags –With a variety of sizes to choose from, these lightly lavender scented (or scent free too!) poop bags are the perfect option, no matter what size job needs to be cleaned up.
April showers bring May flowers... and pests! Black flies, mosquitoes, fleas, and ticks have already begun to make their appearance. As both you and your
pets spend more and more time outside, it's important that you not only use a safe and effective flea and tick control, but that you also check them
head to tail for any ticks that may be embedded. Although many popular flea and tick treatments work well in killing and controlling the pesky bugs,
they often contain harsh chemicals that can be dangerous to not only your pets, but you as well. The Loyal Biscuit offers numerous products that work
well for flea and tick control, as well as keep away other biting insects such as black flies, mosquitoes, and even bed bugs, that don't contain any
- Mutt Nose Best U. Tick Me Off – Made in Maine, this sulfate free botanical blend not only helps keep pesky bugs off your pup, but will also soothe itchy and irritated skin caused by biting insects. Available for sale as either a shampoo or topical spray.
- NEW! CedarCide Original – This all natural, non-toxic insecticide is made in the USA and is a versatile cedar-based solution that is fast and effective on everything from general insect control to major infestations. CedarCide’s quick-drying, non-staining formula makes it great for personal, pet, and home use.
- Vet’s Best Flea + Tick Spray – This unique blend of Peppermint Oil and Clove Extract is carefully formulated to kill fleas, flea eggs, ticks, and mosquitoes naturally and safely. Available for sale in spray bottles convenient for personal use on pets and home and yard use.
- The Tick Key – This easy-to-use tick removal device is made in the USA from high-strength anodized aluminum. Flat in shape, it’s easy to store and carry wherever you need it. It is 99.9% effective in the removal of all types and sizes of ticks.
While essential oils are safe, they should still be used with care. Always monitor your pet after using a new product in case of an allergic reaction. If a reaction should occur, make sure to bathe your pet thoroughly to remove the product from their skin and fur, and consult your veterinarian as soon as possible. We recommend that you consult with your vet before applying a flea and tick treatment, whether it is an all-natural formula or a traditional topical treatment such as Frontline. Should you choose to use a topical treatment that contains chemicals, make sure that you ONLY purchase such treatments from your veterinarian directly.
So what are you waiting for? Get out there and enjoy the warmer weather with your pup! The Loyal Biscuit will be there; ready to answer any questions you have about keeping your pets healthy and happy this spring season!
Sources: Earthrated.com: "Why You Should Pick Up Your Dog Poop"